Thursday, October 30, 2014

Essay Week 11: First Memories of Reading

My first memories of reading definitely including the two series’ called Junie B. Jones and the Magic Tree House. I still have the opening line to Junie B. Jones memorized. I have a good friend who has a daughter the age of 6 and all I want to do is buy her those books so she can enjoy the same ones that I used to. Another book that I very vividly remember reading is one called How to Disappear Completely and Never Be Found. Every time I go to bookstores, I always go to the children’s section looking for this one. I remember it being one of the best book I had ever read but cannot for the life of me remember what it is about. I used to do this program at school where we could read certain books and then take quizzes over them and get points. I remember doing as many as I could because I genuinely loved reading so much! Something I am so excited for after I graduate is being able to read so many more books because of all the time I will have. Another one that is at the front of my reading memory is the book Holes. Gosh, that was my number one favorite book! The fact that Louis Sachar was able to come up with that book amazes me because it is so creative and detailed! A big similarity that I have with my first experiences with reading is that i love to read similar books or series of books. I know it’s super cliche but I really love reading Nicholas Sparks books nowadays. I saw him speak at a convention one time which really made me admire his writing. I also really enjoy inspirational Christian books. My favorite Christian authors are Tim Keller and Beth Moore. After writing this essay, it really makes me want to go and buy a bunch of my favorite books from when I was little to just go back over and read.

Image Information: This was one of my favorite books growing up taken from Amazon

2 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you mean! When I was little, I was crazy passionate about reading. I would read during class, at sleepovers, at night, in the car, whenever and wherever possible. I was the top AR student in my elementary school and in first grade, I was actually at an 8th grade reading level. Now, I have NO time to read for pleasure. I literally can't remember the last time I went to the library to find a good book and just read instead of studying and stressing over tests and school. Great post! Really took me back to my childhood days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jade! I definitely remember the Junie B. Jones series from elementary school. I also remember reading the book How to Disappear Completely and Never Be Found. I don't remember the plot very much, just that it was a mystery of sorts. I used to love reading in my spare time. I still do, but I don't have the spare time to read anymore. I checked out some books from the library, but I have no idea when I will be able to sit down and relax with one of them. Hopefully we will both get the chance soon!

    ReplyDelete