Thursday, November 20, 2014

Essay Week 14

I have had lots of different types of experiences with writing. The first thing I can remember is my sophomore year of high school. I had a really great teacher who taught me a lot about writing. That was the year that I felt like being in all Pre-AP classes would be too heavy of a course load so I decided to take a grade level english class. This was my first time in high school to not take an accelerated level class. It was the weirdest thing ever. For the first time I was surrounded by people who really did not care whether or not they did good in their classes. Many of the people in that class did not care about getting into college one day. My teacher could tell from the beginning that I had different passions that the other students in my class. I learned a lot about creativity and writing in his class. He was the one I went to a couple years later to edit my college application essays. He challenged me a lot more because I would often come to him with help on my assignments and he taught me a lot about taking ownership over my writing. We wrote a very lengthy essay over To Kill a Mockingbird in that class. Whenever I think of that book I think of his class because that was the first time I studied it in school. In college I have not had too much experience with writing. This class has honestly been my favorite (which is why I am taking it as a second class with Professor Gibbs) because of all of the freedom to be so creative with writing. I took my college english classes in highschool so I never really had the OU english experience. I will definitely miss this class and getting to write creatively and I hope that when I graduate I will still be able to write. Something I really try to do is write people letters. I love snail mail and will probably try to use it more after I graduate!

Image Information: Cover of To Kill a Mockingbird taken from Wikipedia

1 comment:

  1. Hey Jade. It's funny that your memories of writing take you back to the tenth grade, because that's exactly the time I was getting my first real introduction to academic writing. My class was taught by Ms. Boyd, and it seemed like we were writing something everyday in her class. The book I remember most isn't To Kill a Mockingbird but 1984 instead.

    ReplyDelete