Thursday, September 18, 2014

Storytelling Week 5: Sita's Capture

I do not know why this idiot thinks it is a bad idea for me to take Sita with me. All I have ever wanted is for her to love me and I know that she is completely under the spell of that stupid Rama. There is no way she can really love him. She has to know after spending time with me that she will eventually fall for me. I am one of the greatest looking men in the land so how on earth could this beautiful woman not fall for me?! She is, after all, more beautiful than any wife I have ever owned. I will somehow convince Maricha to give into the idea of me having Sita. It will happened for my good.


I have done it. Maricha has finally given in to my request and he will help me in my plan to make Sita mine. I am going to have him disguise himself as a deer and appear to Rama. Knowing Rama he will try to be the hero and find the deer, leaving his sweet bride alone. I would never leave her alone if I could just call her mine. I will then come to her while she is frightened and I will also be disguised but I will be an old innocent man that she has no choice but to trust. I will sweep her off of her feet and take her away with me. Then I know she will eventually profess her love for me. There is no way my plan may fail.


The planned WORKED. Sita is now in my care and I am so happy. It was a fight to get her to come with me but I think she was still shocked about Rama being captured. I bet she thought he could somehow still see her so she wanted to seem scared even though I know she wanted to come with me. That stupid vulture Jatayu tried to fight me as I was taking her away so I had no choice but to chop off his wings to get him away. I probably looked so brace in the eyes of Sita. I know she was impressed and that action will help her to confess her love for me.

Now it is just about persuading her to fall for me. All I want is for her to say I love you. Once I hear those words I know she will be mine. I know I cannot tell her first. It has to be her choice and I know it will be coming soon.

Authors Note: I decided to tell the story of Ravana capturing Sita from his perspective. Instead of getting her to sleep with him I made his mission just to tell him she loves him to lighten it up a little bit.

Bibliography: Buck, William (1976). Ramayana: King Rama's Way



Image Information: Picture of a statue of Ravana taken from Wikipedia  

6 comments:

  1. Hi Jade! What a great way to retell the story-- from Ravana's perspective! He is truly a perplexing character, as his desire for Sita, another guy's wife, makes him to some really stupid things. He ignores so many of his advisers in order to get her! You portrayed his pride very well in a way that the reader can still tell that he is doing these things out of obsession, which leaks into his logic, or lack thereof. There were a few minor typos, but excellent job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jade, this was awesome! I retold the story of Ravana capturing Sita earlier this semester, and it was much different from yours, so I thought it was really cool to see a different perspective. You almost made Ravana look not as much as a bad guy, so I was really captivated as I was reading, because I wanted to see what would come next. I love how you portrayed the characters and what you did with them. It was really fun to read, and you did a great job in making the whole story a little bit lighter! I look forward to reading more of your posts in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jade, your version of the story was really interesting and you did a good job of making Ravan look like a good guy when his the opposite. You did a great job of making him sweet and full of love. I felt like the story was more of a diary which I thought was a great way of telling his side of the story. I hope to read more of your work in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I already posted a comment on your week 7 storybook because it was a part of your portfolio so I am going to comment here!
    The way you have characterized Ravana here is exactly the way I would imagine a modern day Ravana to be. When you said “more beautiful than any wife I have ever owned” was perfect and did a terrific job of explaining his thoughts!
    I think you could have identified that the third paragraph was written after the first two, maybe with a date? Its great though! I look forward to your future posts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey good morning once again Jade. I just finished reading your week 5 portfolio post and I must say thoroughly enjoyed it. I liked how you used Ravan’s perspective of the whole situation. The diary like posts were another good idea, I feel as though it allowed for a better understanding of Ravan’s inner thoughts. The writing truly portrayed the disgust Ravana had for Rama and the drive he had to steal Sita. I’m glad you also added in the brief battle of Jatayu in your story, having a battle scene always makes things a little more interesting. Can’t wait to read more of your stories in the future. Keep up the hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, this is a very original version of the story of Sita's capture. Your take on Ravana's inner thoughts is very different from what I would expect/other stories I've read. He comes across as very vain, a little stupid and maybe deluded. He also seems a little more innocent in this version - he really just wants Sita to love him. This contrasts to the more typical view of him as a ruthless, rapacious, remorseless fiend. I like this softer side of Ravana - it's kind of funny, just because it's so different. Very creative, good work.

    ReplyDelete