Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Telling Stories at Hogwarts

I had the most interesting conversation about the statue of Sita the other day with my dear friend Dean Thomas. We are both currently fourth-year students at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. This is a discussion that became uncommon in my home due to the sensitivity behind the story. We were not forbidden from talking about it but it was frowned upon to share our own opinions. People have criticized my father and his father because of their take on the story. Many Indian people believe the classic story behind the statue but I have a great ancestor who was there who know the real story…


“So, Padma, tell me more about this so-called story behind the statue, since you say you know more than the stories and professor say. It's hard to believe anything different than what Professor Tialleur was saying in our Wizards Through History class,” said Dean one day while we were sitting in the Gryffindor Common Room.
“I do not appreciate the unbelieving tone behind that statement but I will tell you nonetheless,” I reluctantly answered because I knew he would challenge any response I gave. He was notorious for being overly critical of people's opinions. This is one of my dearest friends but he can be somewhat self-obsessed sometimes, thinking that no one is right but himself. “Well, here is how the traditional stories went. Rama had to send Sita away because of the so-called bad reputation that she was bestowing upon his name after his exile. He told people he wanted the statue so that he could stop missing her and kept it in her room at his palace. Although creepy, this was his way of having her as company without actually dealing with the criticism of people who did not approve of her. My family, however, believes something totally different. Even though it was only her body in the room, he still felt comfort from her. We believe that Rama had Sita killed. I know people to claim to have known the whereabouts of Sita after she left Rama. However, my ancestor Vasu Roshan told people that he was there the day the statue was made. Vasu was the top of the line of many ancestors who worked for the royal palace. They have been sharing this story with their children all the way until my father shared it with Parvati and myself. Vasu knows that it was not just gold inside of the statue but it was Sita. Rama turned her into a statue because he did not want anyone else to have her but he also did not want to kill her and have her buried in the ground.”
“That is probably one of the coolest stories I have ever heard,” replied Dean. This was not the reaction I expected from him. “Do you know what happened to the statue after Rama was gone? Did he want to take it with him so no one would ever know his secret? How many other people saw this happen?”
“Slow down with all the questions! According to Vasu, a theory passed down for many generations, the statue still remains in the exact location Rama made it. My father says he also saw it. He told us that Sita still stands in the same place. See, he did not make the statue by himself. The only people who were present in the room were Rama, Sita, Vasu, another servant and Suman the magic lion. Suman is the one who had the power to turn Sita into a statue without harming her but I guess the requirement was that she would never move from that place due to the amount of magic that went into making her. When he made her into a statue, he essentially froze and then killed her. They knew she probably would have been killed out in exile but this was Rama's way of having her close. It is a pretty disgusting thing to do, if you ask me. Even though the palace has been destroyed and many natural disasters have hit the area, the statue still stands, looking over India.” I was very happy that he did not criticize me for this story and was shocked that Dean did not challenge me at all!


Image Information: Taken from Superior Pics. Padma and Dean are on the left and they are the characters communicating in my story. Picture from Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince.


Author's Note: For this story I made Padma Patil the storyteller. She is an Indian student from the Harry Potter novels. I had her telling the story of what happened to Sita's statue to another student named Dean Thomas, who is also from Harry Potter. I chose Dean and Padma because they are both minor characters from Harry Potter and are both in the same house in the books. I also wanted to do this to add a little bit of character to a less known character from the books. While somewhat gross, I made up an ending that the statue was actually Sita. The reason I am calling it gross is because I am having Rama keep a technically dead body in his room and keep him company, even though she is a dead body. I think of it as a creepy idea instead of romantic or sweet. He is not keeping her to save her from exile but killing her his way and keeping her perfectly frozen body for his own benefit. I was inspired to do this while thinking of the movie House of Wax because in that movie actual people are turned into wax figures. I thought this would be a funny change in the story and somewhat different from the epics. I included a magic lion because while reading the Ramayana, I always find the most random magical characters. I figured that a magical lion would not be far-fetched at all and would be a good addition to the story. Before I told her made-up story I included what is actually from the books regarding Rama’s decision to make a statue of Sita.

Bibliography:
  • Buck, William (1976). Ramayana: King Rama's Way. 

12 comments:

  1. Hi Jade! I think it was really creative that you chose to have Padma tell the story! She definitely was a good choice! Your retelling was so different, but it made sense, especially since Rama really did have a statue made of her. It reminded me of Ahalya who was turned to stone. I could definitely see a man doing this in order to ensure that no other man could have her, although I don't know if I could see Rama doing this. I couldn't really see Rama banishing Sita either though, so what do I know! Anyway, I love that you told the story using Harry Potter characters! I could definitely see Dean teasing Padma about the story as well, so I felt just as surprised as Padma about his reaction! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jade I thought your storytelling post this week was really creative. The incorporation of characters from Harry Potter to retell their own version of that part in the book is fun. I thought that the alternate story of turning Sita into that statue literally was so creepy but I could definitely see it as a possibility, and apparently so does Dean Thomas! Rama's character really evolves through the book and so by the end, it is really hard to tell what he would and would not do if he felt he was doing the right thing then others would to, eeekkk. Great job this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jade, I must say you did a great job with this week's storytelling assignment. I like dhow you chose a completely different concept but still tied a connection to the book. I must say you are a great writer and definitely a really good creative person as well. I really liked your background of books. It definitely screams the inner book writer in you! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jade! I really enjoyed the way you told this story. I am a huge fan of Harry Potter so it was really interesting how you chose to go from telling the story from Padma Patil’s point of view. The way you told this story was really amazing. You made sure to keep the readers interested on what is going to happen. I never actually thought about why Rama kept the statue of Sita with him and this was a great story explaining this and expanding on it. The story by buck doesn’t do a great job on telling us about it and this was a great way to expand this story. I really like the character of the Dean. He is really impatient to learn about what happens to Sita and how it happens. This is a great way to connect with the readers because more than likely the reader is feeling the same way that the Dean is feeling. This makes sure to get the readers more involved and keep them interested in the story and make sure they continue to read it. You did a great job in writing this story and I can’t wait to read more stories and see the whole portfolio once it gets ready.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very interesting story! I am not a big Harry Potter fan, so I was kind of lost on the background of the story, but eventually understood the structure for the story after reading the author’s note. I like how you present the story with dialog. I think it really brings the story to life and makes it more interesting because you get to see other characters reactions to the story being told. I like how you kind of made it seem like Padma was annoyed by Dean asking all the questions. Although I was kind of confused as to why Dean all of sudden seemed so interested in the statue. I also like how you continued to add dialog and thoughts within the story, especially towards the end where Padma says “Slow down with all the questions! You’re not supposed to seem interested in the story”. I think it creates a fun environment to interpret the intentions behind the story. Overall, I think you did a great job with this story. However, if I were you, I would maybe move the authors note to the beginning for this story, because someone who is not familiar with Harry Potter (like myself) could initially be confused on theme.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jade! Great story. Here’s some comments:
    Your first sentence is repetitive with the phrase “the other day” used twice. Try to avoid repetition!
    It seems as though the last sentence of the first paragraph is messed up; I think you either meant “but once I had a great ancestor”? Again, with the repetitiveness: “ancestor WHO was there WHO know the real story.” You must have meant to write “knew”, not know.
    You are still being very repetitive with the phrase “one day.” You should definitely think of some synonyms to use here.
    I think “so called” is hypenated: so-called. But I am not sure.
    You should have written “I know people WHO claim to have known the …” not “to.”
    I think thats it for the grammatical errors! Great job!
    I am not a huge Harry Potter fan, so I was a little lost with the underlying story you were trying to model after, but I think you story was great nonetheless! I really enjoyed your dialogue. Also, I never made the connection between Ramas reasoning for keeping the statue of Sita with him and you did a really terrific job of clarifying that! I cannot wait to read more of your stories. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a really fun and cool storytelling style. I love the Harry Potter franchise and feel like it played an important role in our generation as we grew up with the actors/characters from the books and movies. I also like that you included a focus on dialogue. I feel like this breaks the story up and keeps the reader engaged. Though you kept me engaged simply by exploring a part of the story I hadn't thought twice about... that being Rama's decision to keep the statue of Sita.

    Good job!
    My only real comment for revision/criticism would be to read it aloud because there were a few places where your wording seemed a little confusing and you had a few grammatical errors. Otherwise, I really enjoyed your story!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Jade! This was a very interesting story this week! I love Harry Potter so it was perfect for me! I can tell that you are very creative just from your writing style. The beginning was a little confusing but then I understood later on! I think the authors note could have gone at the beginning to clarify some things! I am pretty sure we just got paired the other week but I liked getting paired up with you again! Great story and I look forward to reading even more of them in the future. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha ha this is great! I love Harry Potter, but I would have never thought to do a storytelling Harry Potter-style. It's sort of like a fanfic... which is also sort of like what we've all been doing with the Ramayana. I don't think it's cheesy at all to make Padma Patil you're storyteller - it makes perfect sense. Your story itself was also very creative. You created a whole new narrative that was not found in the Ramayana, but I can easily see it being part of a mythological tradition.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Jade! First of all, I have to say that I love the way you chose to adapt your story for this week. I love Harry Potter, so I was really excited to see that your story took place within that world. I also like the way that you have Padma telling the story, giving her a voice and educating people at the same time. This definitely shows how she cares about her culture. At the same time, the idea of the statue being made from Sita's actual body was both creative and creepy. With how obsessed Rama is with both Sita and his reputation, it does not seem like much of a stretch for him to actually go crazy and do something like that. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Jade,

    First of all, I find it astounding that at this point of the semester I've never managed to be in your group. I realized once I entered your page that we use a lot of the same blog layout -- nice choice :)


    I liked that your theme for this story was Harry Potter, and not only because I loved reading Harry Potter, but also because it's something I've never read before. That being said, I would really like a little exposition at the beginning to help illustrate just who Padma and Dean are supposed to be in your story. I think my favorite part of it all was how you explained why the statue still remained where it was and that it was actually Sita. I always pictured Hogwarts in the UK for obvious reasons, but imagining it all taking place in India, with the statue not being moved since it was created, is actually hilarious. One thing I noticed was that your formatting changed throughout your story, and what I could tell it was not to denote any different parts. As a Harry Potter fan, I think Padma's sister would have been interesting to be incorporated into your tale as well. Good work.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This story feels an awful lot like a first draft. There are quite a few grammatical/spelling errors just in that first paragraph (plus it’s unclean what tense you meant to write everything in). I love that you’ve decided to set this in Hogwarts and I think it’s really interesting, but there are a few things wrong with it structurally. The story was great and I really loved it. Everything I have for you is real nitpicky and coming from a person who is a writing major and has pet peeves.
    You actually separated your paragraphs! That is the biggest issue I’ve found time and time again with everybody’s writing, but you actually almost succeeded! I say almost because you clumped your whole middle paragraph together! Eek! Just because your dialogue doesn’t go back and forth between your main character and Dean, does not mean it has to be one paragraph. The first line of dialogue in the paragraph should be it’s own paragraph. Then, the non-dialogue where the MC (main character) describes Dean should be it’s own paragraph, and then the next bit of dialogue starts the next paragraph.
    You’re writing a story, and that means that paragraphs are allowed to be short (it’s actually better if they are)! You just start a new paragraph when there’s a new idea. Dialogue is usually always it’s own paragraph. The only thing that ever needs to be included in that paragraph is who says it. Anything else can be it’s own paragraph. I hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete